History of the Kherson Regional (Oblast') Library for Children
On February 1, 2004 Kherson Regional Library for Children celebrated its 80th Anniversary.
On this day in 1924 it was opened as Tsentrochytalnya, Central Reading Hall. It was the first children's library in Kherson and had 3,300 books that were enjoyed by 760 boys and girls.
The first head of the library was Revekka Suhotina. By 1935 the library’s inventory increased to 10,000 copies. In 1937 the library was given a special room at 18 Karla Marxa Street where it remained until 1980.
Over the years, the library’s readers included well known people from the Kherson region, such as the future poets Eugene Fomin and Aron Kopshteyn; a fighter-pilot hero of the Soviet Union Mr. Jakubowski; military captain in the first degree Commodore Savchenko; and Larissa Latynina, a master of sports of international class and champion Olympic gymnast.
On the eve of World War II, more than 5,000 boys and girls had enjoyed the library, which then had a collection of 60,000 of the best children's literature books. Almost everything was lost during this difficult war time, but through the efforts of librarians and enthusiastic residents, the library was revived after the war.
April 1, 1946 the library was reorganized as the Regional Library for Children and Youth. Its services were used by almost 7,000 readers. It was its current name, the Regional Library for Children, in 1963.
The library received a special gift in 1980 - a new three-storey building at 21 Chervonostudentskiy. Young readers could enjoy many new reading rooms and a special hall for listening to music, watching videos and creating puppet shows.
Our modern library invites you to take a tour of Harry Potter!
About the Library in English
Дата оновлення: 07.12.2011